Wednesday, June 7, 2006

K IS FOR KALEIDOSCOPE

                             

Did you ever have a kaleidoscope when you were young? I had numerous ones over the years, starting with the bulky cardboard tubes and graduating to the smaller metal ones. Something about them seemed magical to me. I would peer into the one end and see at the other end the motionless colored bits of glass. Ah, but then I would slowly twist the tube at the bottom, and the glass would shift. Little images reshaping to form another beautiful vision.

Held to a bright light source, the colors were fantastic and brilliant. Miniature stained glass windows, so it seemed. Quickly swiveling the end of the tube brought about new patterns one after another. It was constantly changing and amazing my eyes. It was not uncommon for me to "ooooh" and "ahhhh" aloud while turning the kaleidoscope.
 
Aiming the tube at a dark area altered the loveliness of the captured pieces of glass. They became dull and lifeless no matter how many twists of the tube I performed. There were no more vivid colors, no striking designs. The images were dark and gray. The new patterns appeared unimpressive. The wonder of the kaleidoscope was lost when viewed in darkness.
 
In no time at all, there was frantic searching for a lighted spot to once again bring the magic back to life.
 
Life is very much like an always-changing kaleidoscope. When everything is going smoothly and my path is free of thorns, the light brings the beauty of bright colors to my eyes. New and positive happenings are like a twist of the kaleidoscope, further drawing expressions of happiness from me. Bright occurrences that please my eyes and my heart. I feel full of joy and contentment.
 
The times when I am caught in dreariness and lifelessness due to calamities, disillusionment, fear, or pain are akin to the light source being taken away from my kaleidoscope. Just when the gloom seems to be changing for the better, sometimes I am disappointed to find the gray is still there. It is then that I need to try a little harder or hope a little more to find a bright spot toward which to direct my kaleidoscope.
 
All of us have our own sources of light from which to choose. We may lose sight of it from time to time, but gradually we do find our way back. And we are once again bathed in the splendor of the vibrant colors of the glass.
 
I made the above graphic using this tiny (3" x 5") watercolor painting I recently completed. I cannot believe what some of the software programs are capable of doing to images! 'Tis fun to play with them.
 
                                    
 
 "A new dawn is always breaking inside a kaleidoscope." ~Cozy Baker

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! I LOVE Kaleidoscope! until now..I am still mesmerized by it~
Gem :-)

Anonymous said...

oh..you painted that flower with butterfly on it?? beautiful! I love it (sorry..I was too excited to tell you about how much I love kaleidoscope that I bypass commenting about your work/entry.
Gem :-)

Anonymous said...

perfect entry -mary

Anonymous said...

Life truly is a myriad of dancing colors when we stop to take the time to find them - and few dance brighter than the words, thoughts and images you bring into our lives.  I hope that you will always find a source of light to illuminate your days, Nikki.

Rob

PS - here's some kaleidoscopic fun you might find interesting:

http://www.zefrank.com/indexkal.html

Anonymous said...

Nikki~I have always been intrigued by kaleidescopes; I can really aprreciate your analogies about light. So thoughtfully worded! Hugs & blessings, Sassy ;-)

Anonymous said...

They are rather magical . . .  I just giggled as a little girl the first I looked in one.  I have always LOVED color . . .  and these were little masterpieces . . .  beautiful little bright colorful paintings, one after another.

It is what we believe it to be!  ;-)
                                      Cyn

Anonymous said...

The kaleidoscope is indeed a fascinating invention that provided hours upon hours of fun for me as a child Nikki.  As you know, I work with children, and one thing I always admire is, they truly do have a clearer way of thinking then most adults do.  If their needs are being met at home, they can always see the good in even the most difficult situations, because life has yet to teach them disappointments and create inihibitions that adults cannot help but succumb to many times.  The children seem to almost always keep that light source shining....they smile wider then we do, they cry harder then we do, and they live life to the fullest with an endless source of energy...
 ...Sadly, those whose needs are not met, who life has dealt a tough deck of cards to...become void of this light source, almost completely.  Their eyes are darkened with those deep dark grey areas, and it takes not only a professional to help them, but someone who cares, someone who can offer them a path back to the light, so that they too can see the beautiful colorful crystal images life has to offer...it's tough, and sometimes nearly impossible, but if you can provide that light source again for them, the kaliedoscope seems brighter and more beautiful then ever for both the child, and the adult who touched their heart.
  Thank you for touching me with this entry, as always I loved it
huggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Anonymous said...

Nikki - loved your analogy between life and a kaleidoscope.  A mere twist can bring amazing changes of color and pattern, how wonderful to live a life where nothing stays stagnent.  Cathy

Anonymous said...

I always loved looking through a Kaleidoscope!  

What a great metaphor!

Hugs,
Jackie