Wednesday, August 30, 2006

KEEPING A PROMISE

Quite some time ago, I made a promise to my dear photographer friend. I said I would one day paint a picture using one of the photographs he has taken and sent to me. Truthfully, I kept delaying it, because I was afraid. I feared I would be unable to do justice to any of his photos. He is a wizard with his camera, and that caused further nervousness on my part. Heck, if his photos were ugly, any painting I did from one would not look too bad in comparison.

And so, I painted this, that, and the other from other photographs. Always intending to keep my promise to him...sooner or later. More later than sooner.
 
Well, the promise has been kept. I chose one of his iris photographs to work from. I opted to use pastel paints instead of watercolors. There was some artistic license I exercised, as is my right! But, I hope he is pleased with the result.
 
I must be going through my flower phase. The last bunch of paintings I have done have all had flowers in them.
 
And I breathe a huge sigh of relief knowing I honored my promise.
 
"People from a planet without flowers would think we must be mad with joy the whole time to have such things about us." ~Iris Murdoch

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Great painting. You did an outstanding job with your painting.

Have a good day

Take Care!
Alvia

Anonymous said...

WOW! Great painting. You did an outstanding job with your painting.

Have a good day

Take Care!
Alvia

Anonymous said...

Very very beautiful.
http://searchthesea.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I am an Iris fan & a Nikki fan ;']. It is lovely. ~Mary xo

Anonymous said...

Niki... I'm certainly no artist critique, but I think it's beautiful!  I am in awe of anyone who can take paint and a brush and create something so lovely.

Thank you for sharing it..  :)

Hugs,
Jackie
http://journals.aol.com/siennastarr/Hopefloats/

Anonymous said...

You cease to amaze me Nikki!  That is beautiful.  If you ever want to "play around" with any other photos...you just let me know!!    ; )
OH...I forgot to give you credit for the thing you made me for my "all about me" section.   I'm going to do it now!!
Nancy
http://journals.aol.com/nhd106/Nancyluvspix/entries/2006/08/29/teeth/1258

Anonymous said...

::humble smile::

Thank you dear friend.  What a truly lovely creation - better than the original photo, for the beauty your heart instills.  I will treasure this always.

Rob

Anonymous said...

Oh I love this! it came out great! What talent you have-would love to see it in
person; have been away most of the summer-catching up on my alerts, and
planning to do an entry myself this weekend.~Diane~

Anonymous said...

Nikki,
  I know Rob will treasure this painting... you captured the beauty of his Iris with the magic of your brush.  Absolutely incredible.  

Michelle

Anonymous said...

Your painting is incredible!!!  I wish I had half of your talent.

Terra

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful....just beautiful...Sandi

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful.  I love the colors.
http://boiseladie.blogspot.com/