Monday, December 26, 2005

THE AFTERMATH

                           

It came. It went. But, not before leaving a multitude of remembrances in my mind. Ones I shall call up whenever I choose; others that will come to me at unexpected moments.

My son taking longer than most women do to get ready to attend the Christmas Eve church service. Blaming me with a twinkle in his eye for driving too slow when we arrived with scant minutes to spare before the service began.

My daughter and husband singing during the lighting of the church congregation's candles.

The surprised and happy looks on my hubby's face when he opened my gifts to him.

The appreciation my kids had for each and every present Santa left for them. The parental pride felt knowing they understood the hard work Santa puts in day in and day out to be able to lavish them with such gifts once a year.

The six-hour extravaganza at my mother's house. Hearing laughter and giggles and nonstop chattering throughout her house as 22 people gathered to celebrate Christmas Day.

Gifts galore. The best gift of all? Noticing the haunted look that has been in my mother's eyes since Daddy's death was not there...and knowing she was able to push aside her own current health problems for the day.

I cannot record here, on paper, or on film all that this Christmas of 2005 embodied. No matter how much I tell about the day, I will still be unable to do it justice.

There is but one word that repeatedly comes to mind when thinking about every single part of this wondrous holiday I experienced:

LOVE.

"Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." ~Barbara De Angelis

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good title and of course, good entry! I relate to the thing about words being inadequate, but I'll try anyhow even though I have three rolls of undeveloped film I am just itching to see! It's raining out, but I just might have to go out to the Hallmark store to have a look at the sales. Happy you had such a beautiful day! Love, Deb ;-)

http://journals.aol.com/debbted/SassysSecondWord

Anonymous said...

Beautiful entry....that's so nice that you were able to celebrate with so many people...I love large gatherings like that...

Anonymous said...

So pleased about your mom. Love is the best. Glad it was so 'present.'  Mary

Anonymous said...

Lovely!!!....i love christmas and it makes me sad to take the tree down and put all the decorations away....i take as much time putting them away as i do putting them up....im glad i have gotten to know you a little this year and look forward to knowing you better in 2006...your journal is trully a work of art....always...your friend...topp