Tuesday, March 14, 2006

DEFEAT

       

There were so many of them. Within reach. I brought my hands together and was certain I had been able to capture at least one. I tingled inside with the knowledge that I had managed to obtain that which I had yearned for. My hands remained cupped around my celestial prize. A smile adorned my face while I savored the moment.

Carefully I parted my fingers, eager to peek at the glow I held. I saw only darkness. How could that be? Nothing was there to be seen. I turned my hands, palms up. My eyes met emptiness. And I felt myself spiraling downward into bleak defeat. Engulfed in a sadness that refused to relinquish its hold on me.
 
The saddest part is that I caused a kind old man to well up with tears as he watched me give in to my thinly-veiled despair. And I cannot forgive myself for that.
 
"But what we call our despair is often only the painful eagerness of unfed hope." ~George Eliot

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.  I had to read this twice.  Nothing worse than missed dreams...unless it's not having them. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

What an incredible entry....beautiful picture to accompany it.  What a sad expression that I certainly can relate to.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

An awesome entry. I especially love the quote by George Eliot:
"But what we call our despair is often only the painful eagerness of unfed hope."
SO on the mark. Expectatations not realized.
Huge hugs,
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/THERESTOFTHESTORY
        http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

Nikki,

The painting and your writing here is so poignant and beautiful. You have captured the essence of how so many sensitive souls feel at times.

Your quote at the end is right on.

Smile and the whole world will smile with you.

XOXOXOX
Maryanne

Anonymous said...

I love love this painting! (2 loves mean a lot--since I tend to overuse the word love as a descritor...;-)...Like Celeste, I had to read it twice too...Deep and excellent. Feelings are just not meant to be always positive any more than life is meant to be always happy or easy. Just the facts according to Sassy ::::::::grin::::::::::::

http://journals.aol.com/SassyDee50/SassysWORD  <<<Easter poem here