Saturday, March 18, 2006

INTERPRETATIONS

 
I think our own interpretations of a piece of artwork are sometimes more interesting than the art itself. When a painting is very realistic, everyone can agree on what it depicts. For example, if it is a portrait of a woman, we all would be in total agreement about that. What would differ among us would be what we saw in the woman. Is she contemplative? Sad? Wistful? Should the painting be of a landscape, we might see the same scene, but what we envision about that place would vary.
 
We can look at more abstract work, and it is far easier for there not only to be many more interpretations, but also many more things to interpret. Those paintings are more obtuse. And that opens the door for our minds to explore all there is about the works. I am unsure too many people would ever come away with identical thoughts about such paintings.
 
The Write Words Writing Club had a picture over a month ago that a few people selected for their entries. I have never been a collector of abstract work. I am not a contemporary decorator. However, every once in awhile, I am taken by a painting or picture that is definitely unlike my usual preferences. That was the case with this picture. What I immediately saw in the picture was quite different from the interpretations of those who wrote about it.
 
I saved that picture. I knew at some point in time I would want to write about it. I was not certain when or in what style I would write, just that I would. The time is now.
The lust released,
spent in a fury
of reckless need.
 
The intimate act
merely an attempt
to fill a void.
 
An ache for love
the impetus
for their coupling.
 
Turning away,
closed eyes concealing
the pain of emptiness.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you wrote pretty much exactly reflects what I saw when I looked at it the first time.  Interesting that the other writers saw different things.
http://searchthesea.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I love how you expressed what you saw in this picture. You really ought to have a book out. TRULY! I promise to buy one if you get published.
Hugs, love & prayers too.
Barb- http://journal.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK
        http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/THERESTOFTHESTORY

Anonymous said...

I love your interpretation and how you expressed that...
quite beautiful.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am unsure if I would know what to do with an abstract painting...but you certainly have opened my eyes to looking beyond the obvious..this was terrific!

Anonymous said...

A Marvelous insight into a frighteninly realistic image!

...this painting reminds me that when two opposites atrract, they will extinguish each other...like when fire meets water, neither element can remain in the form it once was!

Beautiful!....Marc :)

Anonymous said...

Wow doll...I LOVE this.  I think you and I may be very similar.  LOVE it! ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies