Saturday, March 4, 2006

A TOUCH OF CHRISTMAS IN MARCH

                    

I have decided to use the above painting of mine for my 2006 family Christmas card. How nice to know I will not be hunting for the "right" card during the hustle and bustle of that holiday season. I will be able to write my own verse to have printed inside, too. I will like that. I will need to take a photograph of my children to insert into each print I have made of this painting-turned-card.
 
It is not as though I set out in the waning days of February to paint a picture that would be suitable for a Christmas card. The painting was for the art class I take. The winter session of my class is quickly coming to a close, and our latest assignment was to paint a snow landscape.
 
I found a photograph (where it came from I have no earthly idea) that seemed to be perfect to paint. It captured three of my loves: the snow, sleds (preferably antique ones), and Christmas. Except for the sled and wreath, the rest of the picture was all in white and shades of blues. It reminded me of black and white pictures where only one object is colorized. It was from that photograph that I painted this.
 
As with my last painting of the church entry, this painting is very small. The measurements are about 4-1/2" x 6-1/2". Being a person who thrives on details, I have found it challenging to incorporate detail work into tiny paintings. I do not give up easily, so I have been plugging away on it. I was happy to finish it. I completed it just a bit ahead of schedule, which means I do not have to scramble to be certain I have all my work done when the class is over in two weeks.
 
And you know what? I actually LIKE this painting o'mine. If you knew how I feel about 99% of the pictures I paint, you would know it is unlike me to be pleased with the final result. I think it helped that my instructor was very complimentary. Some of the students in my class are the ones who suggested it be used for my Christmas card. With that kind of encouragement, it probably helped me be less critical of it.
 
Next week's class will be interesting and very different. We are to do an experimental painting with absolutely no idea in mind what it is we are going to portray. I am unsure how that works, but the teacher said he will demonstrate prior to us putting brushes to our watercolor paper.
 
I always have a good time in the class. This particular session has been unique for me in that I have tried some things I never had previously. I used different brushes than I typically use. Miniaturizing my work is a new experience. The experimental project will be another new one.
 
Maybe one day I will find my niche. But in the meantime, I plan on continuing to enjoy the journey.

"Painting is silent poetry." ~Simonides of Ceos, quoted by Plutarch

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's pretty, I like the contrast between the white snow, white trees and the sled coming out bold as it is...looks good...Sandi

Anonymous said...

I love the contrast in this Christmas painting Nikki...and, after spending regular time reading your journal, and admiring your creativity and intelligence, I think that perhaps the experimental painting has the potential to become something you can be proud of as well.
 Keep up the wonderful work my friend
H

Anonymous said...

Wonderful painting!  Makes me wish I were on your Christmas list!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

AMAZZZING!  That is one talent that I've always wanted.  May I place an order, pleeeeze? ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

well thank you very much...xmas in mar...bah!....but alas, you have inspired me to take up my crafts again and just as i decide to do this, my daughter comes home and asks me to bead and sequin not one but THREE headpieces for a synchronized swim meet...but with my hubs encouragement i am going to sign up for an art class this summer and take my rag bag out of the closet and piece a quilt to finish over the summer...yea thanks a lot lol....you are inspirational not only with your writing but your art and your wonderful personality that lets us peek inside your private life....

Anonymous said...

Hi there~I am so glad to hear you are finally not being so critical of one of your paintings! Yay! I love it--really--dunno if they are meant to be birch tress , but remind me of them and I love the old sleds too. Geez, I prolly rode on one when I was a kid. I'm feeling like somewhat of an antique right now cuz my BDay is coming up soon...lol I have not put any of D's paintings in my journal yet as I am trying to get the photographing down--but I am going to e0mail you one that didn't come out too bad. GBU~Sassy ;-)

http://journals.aol.com/SassyDee50/SassysEYE