Wednesday, April 5, 2006

EROTIC...OR NOT?

This painting may or may not be the final version. I need to look at it later. Usually, when I finish one, I step away from it for a time. When I return to it, something that is missing or needs adjusted sticks out like a sore thumb. Then there are those frustrating moments when a painting I thought I liked suddenly looks terrible to me. Time will tell how I feel about this one.

The main point of this entry is eroticism. I found a black and white photograph of this couple and was immediately taken by how erotic it was. My mind conjured up all sorts of scenarios that led up to the image I recreated (with some artistic license) here. Without the slightest bit of prodding, my thoughts took it further. To the end. To the climax, so to speak. ::smile::
 
Maybe it is only I who finds pictures like this to be highly erotic. Much more so than your run-of-the-mill nude couple. I suppose part of the appeal is because it leaves something to the imagination. And I do love my imagination. Part of it could also be the way the man and woman are positioned. Another very erotic aspect of it is that they are kissing. I do not think anything is more intimate than a passionate kiss. The joining of lips tells so much about the depth of feelings and the intensity of the passion.
 
This was a very fun painting for me to paint. I am quite happy I attempted it. Now, I just have to decide if I genuinely like it enough to keep it.
 
"What is erotic, like taste in art, is subjective." ~Kelly Borsheim

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

GM Nickki~Caught me by surprise being erotic this early! lol...I agree it surely is--I love it---the couple is very realistic looking (can be hard to paint) and appealing, the muted pastels in the background mountains so pretty..the beach~my favorite setting even. Wonderful! Sassy ;-)

Anonymous said...

You are a very talented artist...your painting is outstanding. I also love that it takes place on a beach...very nice :)

http://journals.aol.com/derasta/ADayInTheLife/

Anonymous said...

LOVE this chica...but, of course I would...eroticism and all...hehehe.  My biggest weakness is a kiss for sure...from the soul, to the eyes, to the lips...one straight path.  I sooo envy your talent. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

Love your painting! Great photo's in the entry before this one too! ~Diane~ http://journals.aol.com/dizarra/StorysFromtheCityTalesFromtheSea                                                                                                    

Anonymous said...

Wow...such talent!  And yes, erotic for sure.   (more than nudes, I'd agree).
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm so glad that I read your journal, the art is wonderful, and yourself expression leave me wanting more. All I'm really saying is I thank God for allowing me to share this beautiful gift of yours. I will be sure to visit again.

Anonymous said...

I think this painting is erotic and highly sensual Nikki..
 Her bare body on top of his...the feel of their skin together...her hair against his face...their soft lips meeting, the ocean around them...it is romantic, erotic, and makes me feel wonderful.
Thank you for sharing your work!

Anonymous said...

I am totally with you on the erotic issue...enjoyed the read...And congrats for being picked by last weeks guest editor..TerryAnn.  

Anonymous said...

Oh Nikki!

I am so glad I saw this! YOur blogspot journal is having difficulties today. I'm not even sure if all my stupid comments registered! So I decided to come over here and I found this! WOWOWOWOWOWOW!

Erotic, absolutely! YOu have captured the moment, the kiss and the physical attributes of the lovers are wonderful! This must have been very difficult to paint... well not for you... just for me!

I especially love the colors in the mountains and the way the colors connect to the hues within the sky. Gorgeous girl!

I don't dare tell you what I think is erotic. At least not here on your public blog! (giggle)

XOXOX
Maryanne