Thursday, November 9, 2006

BALANCING ACT

Sometimes I want and need to be reminded that the seemingly impossible is possible.

Thank you to my mysterious and good friend for the permission to post this photograph.

Balanced Rock was exposed more than 60 million years ago when the existing Rocky Mountains rose. To make its current shape, the soft bottom layer of shale eroded much faster than the harder sandstone and conglomerate above. Amazingly, the pedestal supporting Balanced Rock has held the 700 ton weight for thousands of years. (Information from The Garden of The Gods Park plaque.)
 
"Yes, you can be a dreamer and a doer too, if you will remove one word from your vocabulary: impossible." ~Robert Schuller

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This stuff always has me in awe...

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!!

Terra

Anonymous said...

Amazing...   I don't know that I would want to stand under that thing, though! lol

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! cool..and my bro-nlaw lives in CO..I don't think he ever mentioned this rock lol...if I ever go to CO, I'd definitely visits Rocks Of Gods, CO!
Thanks for sharing the story and the cool pic!
Gem :-)

Anonymous said...

how interesting..that is wild looking.

Anonymous said...

Oh how I always enjoyed watching Robert Shuller with my mother.  Nice post and a nice reminder.  

Anonymous said...

LOL....Wow!!!

that rocklooks exactly like me when i have the baby and my mom with me at the mall at the same time....

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the creative reminder.

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I have always been amazed at what can happen in the natural world we live in.  To build that, would take a team of architects and several contractors.  After getting all the permits, they would have to bring in heavy equipment and hope that the plans work out.  On the other hand, this rock formation just happened...no muss no fuss.

Greg
http://journals.aol.com/radar446/PhotoTrek/

Anonymous said...

I am just simply amazed that it hasn't fell over...

~Debbie