Monday, November 20, 2006

ENOUGH

Once upon a time in Hollywood and elsewhere, actors and actresses and politicians were at the mercy of the media. Anything a reporter felt like saying about these celebrities went unchallenged. The stars were told not to acknowledge anything false. The advice they received from their agents and managers and press people was to ignore it. That by denying or clarifying what the media printed it actually gave credence to the gossip. And the famous folks went along with the advice they were given. Tabloids had a field day saying whatever they wanted to say about the "stars du jour."

Ah, but I do believe the very first celebrity to say "ENOUGH" was Carol Burnett. She defied the advice. She followed what she KNEW to be the right course of action. When a rag printed that she had been drunk at some function, she was outraged. Having grown up in a household with an alcoholic family member and working very, very hard to keep her head above water and make a success of herself, she was certainly not about to let anyone smear her good name. And God love her, she fought that tabloid tooth and nail. Taking the media to court? Why, who would have ever had the guts to do THAT? Carol did. She did it beautifully, too. And she won. She won because what was said about her was false. It was a case of someone writing what they PERCEIVED to be the truth. It is common knowledge that slanderous statements are based on thoughts or feelings or perceptions and not on actual facts. Bare facts. Not ones that have been embellished with a little more here and there.
 
Carol's victory paved the way for stars and anyone else in the public eye to take on the media. Many cases were won by those who previously held their tongues and allowed the lowest of the low to besmirch their names.
 
I have always been impressed by Carol Burnett for that reason, as well as her obvious performing talent. It is not always easy to put yourself out there in order to stand up for what you believe to be right. Yet, she did it. With a determination that was made of steel.
 
How does that pertain to those of us who write in public journals? There are some of us who have been bloggers for quite some time. We write about a wide variety of subjects. Maybe about our personal lives. Sometimes about our take on society. Poetry and artwork is often shared. Each person leaves his own fingerprints on his writings.
 
Yet, there are tawdry tabloids that exist online. Their sole purpose is to defecate on people they do not like. They like to "expose" others who use online services to their fabrications and partial truths and anything else to make their targets squirm. I think we have all visited journals/blogs like that a time or two, have we not? Have you ever found yourself to be the topic of any of their journal entries? Have you read things about yourself and found your jaw drop from sheer astonishment? Did you wonder where they came up with the information about you? Did anyone ask YOU if the puke they were going to write about you was factual? Probably not. It does not work that way. Their usual mode of operation is to take a fact here or there, twist and turn it every which way, and add to it until it fits what they PERCEIVE to be fact, and go from there. They are reckless with the facts and guilty of projecting their own insecurities onto others.
 
It is my guess that soon enough there will have to be more online restrictions placed on the writers of all the journals. Slander is something that has to be addressed. It NEEDS to be addressed. Freedom of speech carries with it some responsibility. And when it is abused, it needs stopped.
 
I know too many people who have had to take their journals private, because there were those idiots who just had to cause the writers anguish and/or attempt to make their online lives miserable. How fair is that? Not fair at all. Funny how it seems like the people who have positive entries, entertaining commentaries, and nice displays of writing talent are the ones who often become the targets of malcontents.
 
Yes. Enough is enough. Time to put a stop to it. And there are ways.
 
"Truth is not exciting enough to those who depend on the characters and lives of their neighbors for all their amusement." ~George Bancroft

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, guuurl.. I LOVED this entry!   I could say so many things, because lately I have been the target of someone that acts as if they know me, and they know nothing about me.  They have tried to sully my name here in Jland, and actually have people laughing at their hateful, mean words. They have even gone so far as to bring my innocent little grandson into their vindictive cruel vendetta.  This person has not only hurt me, but others also.  I don't understand it.. will never understand it.. but, it's the way this person works I guess.  Negative, nasty attention is better than no attention at all.

I loved this entry!  Well said!!

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

Great entry!  I am only sorry that anyone who comes here with an open mind and heart has to suffer at the hands 'of'.   I haven't added any new journals to my list of reads for a long time ... I stick to the 'gang' I know and hope that we all continue to be nice to each other -- I sometimes fear trying to reach out to a new person to me ... been smacked enough.



Anonymous said...

You two, I am sorry that you have also suffered at the hands of those who find it amusing or necessary to tear down others. And Jackie? I am not surprised your little grandson was dragged into it. My late father has been the target of a couple of swipes by this one person who is a "fan" of mine. That throws her into a category that is beyond sane. Geez, I would never take a potshot at her deceased family member. That is the difference between me and her.

Sometimes I honestly believe that people, for whatever reasons, cannot accept that someone online has had and/or is having a grand life. They prefer to believe that if you are online that you are unhappy. That you pretend to have such a good life. If I want to cyber every man I come across online, it does not negate the happiness that exists in my life. (And I haven't, but it is my goal. ::chuckle::) COME ON OVER! SEE MY REAL WORLD! Betcha it would silence those who disbelieve me.

Hubby and I were discussing all of this moments ago. I wanted him to see the charming things being said about me in a rag. He said it is a shame that people cannot put all that negative energy into something positive. We both agreed that in the near future the courts will be clogged with lawsuits dealing with journal slander. Since blogging is a fairly new practice, the courts have not had much experience dealing with the problems it can create. Journals used as weapons. Who would have thought it?!!!

And from the looks of my emails, it seems there are more than a few people who have and are experiencing what all three of us have.

Nikki  

Anonymous said...

I pray for these people... I really do.  They are so low in life, so lost and so bitter.  They have little, if anything at all, to make their heart's light so they must drag others through the mud and muck in order to feel better about themselves.  
Thank you for bringing to light a subject that many shy away from addressing for fear of becoming the next victim of slice and slander.  The VIVIs showed a lot of this hateful and vicious activity, and that really ruined it for a lot of well meaning, hard working people (((Jackie))).  

What I am always aware of though, is that there is far, FAR more good out there than bad, and that is what I always try to focus on.  

Happy Belated Birthday!

Michelle            

Anonymous said...

Hugs....enough is right...you know i couldnt agree with you more about the mud slinging although i tend to sling it back when i can lol...no matter what, i would NEVER take shots at a child or a family member as certain ones have done lately about my spouse...and by the way, yesterday my hubsband was declared CANCER FREE!!!!....