Thursday, February 16, 2006

THE LEGEND (Repost)

I cannot seem to sit here at any one stretch long enough to write an entry. My mind is going a million miles per minute, and I am running back and forth from my drafting table to the computer. Clearly, I cannot focus on writing while painting. And that spells REPOST! Almost exactly one year ago today, I wrote the following entry. Perhaps now I would add to it and express my thoughts in a better way, but this is what I thought at that time.                                    

                                 

Tuesday, February 15, 2005
3:31:00 AM EST
Feeling Hopeful
Hearing The Prayer~Andrea Bocelli & Celine Dion

 

 

 

The Legend

For literally years, the following Australian legend has captivated me. It has come to mind time and time again without me ever really trying to fully understand it or determine its meaning. As is the case with most things, one's interpretation is subjective. All I came away with when I thought about it was just a hauntingly bittersweet feeling. I think I want to spend the "now" delving into its meaning...at least what it means to me.

I first came to know of this legend from Colleen McCullough's book The Thorn Birds. I loved the book. It was made into a television miniseries, which I found lacking in comparison to the book; however, with few exceptions that is usually the case. And so, here is the legend:

There is a legend about a bird which sings just once in its life, more sweetly than any other creature on the face of the earth. From the moment it leaves the nest it searches for a thorn tree, and does not rest until it has found one. Then, singing among the savage branches, it impales itself upon the longest, sharpest spine. And, dying, it rises above its own agony to out-carol the lark and the nightingale. One superlative song, existence the price. But the whole world stills to listen, and God in His heaven smiles. For the best is only bought at the cost of great pain...Or so says the legend.

Is it just me, or do others find this to be a "smile with tears flowing down your cheeks" legend? It is so amazingly beautiful, yet so very sad. And what does it mean?

In her book, McCullough uses the legend to relate to the love shared between a woman and a priest. She seems to impart that unlike the thorn bird, when we press the thorn to our breast, we know...we understand...and still we do it. It seems quite fitting with the story she writes. A grand love which cannot be completely fulfilled between those two. They both know the consequences of it, but they succumb to whatever they can share even knowing it will kill them inside because it can never be more. Yet during the time they are together, each experiences a joy and beauty they never knew before nor would ever have again.

Do we do that? Do we find ourselves drawn to someone we know we can never fully have? Is it worth it if it hurts us or the other? My guess is sometimes we do. Like the thorn bird, we do not always know at the outset that the someone we are searching for will cost us our "existence"...not until it is too late for us to turn back. All we know is we sing far more beautifully, feel far more deeply, and embrace an inner joy that transcends anything we have ever known. When it is ultimately discovered that which has made us glow is going to cost us our happiness, we still sometimes cling to it and proceed forward even knowing the price. For some, it is worth it. They at least have moments in time to cherish and do so. For others, it is destructive. They may grow bitter knowing it was a once-in-a-lifetime beauty, and that they will never sing so gloriously again.

And what about applying the legend to those who pursue something with a passion? A quest to paint the perfect painting or write the perfect book or sculpt the perfect sculpture. Oftentimes, there is an intense drive for people to create something magnificent. Something that will cause others to gasp from sheer amazement at such a work. What of those creators? They will give all of their time, thoughts, talent, and energy to creating a masterpiece~at the exclusion of establishing any kind of relationship with others. Their existence is solely dedicated to their passion. And if they do create something they deem perfect in their eyes, what is left for them? Surely they will hunger to better even that which they find masterful...or will they? Ah, again, some will content themselves with the knowledge they gave their all to create that which has never before been done. Others will wither and die having devoted their everything to their work of art knowing it is the best they can ever hope to create.

Much like life itself. We make our choices. Sometimes we weigh the pros and cons carefully, and other times we throw caution to the wind and go for the brass ring at any cost. Whatever we decide, we are left with the consequences of our actions...always with the hope we will remember the time we made God in His heaven smile.

Today's quote:

"What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." ~John Ruskin

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite an intense and thought-provoking entry...  I don't have the "answer"...but I do think that you arae 100% correct in your keen observations.  People are complex creatures, aren't they?  I sure am!
Thanks for your thoughts...
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Nikki, you can repost anytime. I completely understand the intensity when you are into painting. Would love to see some of your progress when you are ready to share.~Love from Colorado~ Cheri

Anonymous said...

Nikki,

This was an incredibly beautiful post! You are such an eloquent writer, my dear, and you obviously are speaking with a voice of experience here.

Yes, I can totally relate to this story of the thorn bird in many, many ways. But then again, I suppose that most people with sensitivity can.

I also agree with you about the book and movie that came out afterwards. They should leave great books the way they are and not mess with them, methinks.

Love you,
MAryanne

http://insidethegildedcage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Your very best entry. I read "The Thorn Birds " too and was enchanted by the legend. I tear up even as I write, but perhaps that is because at this exact moment in my life I can relate to it.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/ITSNOTABOUTLOVE-BUTSURVIVAL

Anonymous said...

I ABSOLUTELY love this entry.  Remarkable.  Lovely.  Intelligent.  Wonderful. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

My Friend...we speak of great minds thinking alike...we speak of being so real, so real to the point of almost being inconceivable in the land we all call AOL...
 You speak of here of that which very few can truly relate to...to taking action...to being proactive even when most would advise we just perhaps "let sleeping dogs lie"...I say sleeping dogs are just that...sleeping.  I would hate to be accused of sleeping while I could have been living life and taking risks...and :gasping: even following my heart....
 Thank you for another very touching entry
huggggggggggg

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you redid your entry I really enjoyed reading this one, it rings true in so many ways...thank you....Sandi http://journals.aol.com/sdoscher458/LifeIsFullOfSurprises