Sunday, February 19, 2006

ODDITIES

                                

Some of you asked for it, and you got it. Bet you are sorry! LOL! I finished it. Uh huh. Done. Completed. As I told Maryanne, I think I worked on it as long as Michelangelo worked on the Sistine Chapel ceiling. He got better results than I did.

I was in a funk afterward. Truth is, I like my painting better in person than how it appears on the computer. That is a first. I just wish it had photographed and transferred here looking decent. ::sigh:: Perhaps because it is such a small painting, it looks odd.

And why is it that we find ourselves pointing out our flaws or critiquing our projects or work? I know I do it an awful lot. I think I want to beat people to the punch. Maybe I think it will be less painful if I am the first one criticizing my work or myself. I cannot blindside myself the way others can blindside me.

The temperature here dropped to seven degrees last nite. Quite a blast of cold wound its way into the warmish temperatures we have been having. I, of course, LOVED it. I immediately got a raging fire started in the fireplace. I even slept on the couch in front of it. I think that is so comforting.

Then today started out on the weirdest note. I thought it was Monday. No one was home when I awoke, and I telephoned my mother to chat. She and I had been talking for a good while when she mentioned church. I told her I was so happy she felt up to attending a service, but at the same time I was puzzled that she inserted that into our conversation when she did. Long story short, it was Sunday morning, and I was flippin' clueless about that. I could have sworn it was Monday.

I have been having the most bizarre dreams lately. I have not had a happy dream of any sort for a good two years. I think it is very disconcerting. I dream every single nite, and I remember them. I hate that there is never a pleasant one. Example. The other nite I dreamed a man who loved me was kissing me tenderly, telling me how much he loved me, and apologizing for having to kill me. At which time, he gently sliced open the side of my neck with a huge blade. I slowly crumpled to the ground in the throes of death. That's a real upbeat dream, now isn't it?!!!

I do not USUALLY do Sunday entries, but then I do not usually think Sundays are Mondays, either. Now you see why. I am disjointed on Sundays.

And with that said, I am going to try to find something to do that will make me feel good about myself. ::big smile::

"One should never criticize his own work except in a fresh and hopeful mood. The self-criticism of a tired mind is suicide." ~Charles Horton Cooley

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You painted that??? WOW-I thought it was a photgraph at first glance! But now I'm
looking carefully at it-very good. Your so talented; I hardly ever remember my dreams any more-good or bad; thanx for posting your work. ~Diane~
 http://journals.aol.com/dizarra/StorysFromtheCityTalesFromtheSea                                                                                                    

Anonymous said...

Are you NUTS?  You PAINTED that?  And small too...and you don't think it's good.  Ok...your first session is next week...10am...Dr. So Andso...let me know your progress.  Hehe ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

I truly thought this was a photo...till I read further.   How wonderful!  Sorry about the funk...I got one going on too....
Sweeter dreams to you.
Nancy

Anonymous said...

I love this painting. Wish I had your talent. I'm so glad you posted it. Was hoping you would.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/ITSNOTABOUTLOVE-BUTSURVIVAL

Anonymous said...

Hey you are good. I love the way you got the feeling of depth to the entrance way..looking at it you feel you could walk up those steps into the doorway. Is this done in acrylic, oils or water color? You would probably do well too with one of those old interesting building scenes from Greece or Italy - showing all the angles of the buildings...I really like this...you definitely have talent.  Sandi

Anonymous said...

Pssst, Sandi...I painted it with watercolors.

Anonymous said...

Nikki,

You're such a lil' dope! First for thinking it's Sunday and second for putting down this beautiful picture!

I love it! The amount of detail that went into this was tremendous, and you have managed to set the wooden door back from the steps so very cleverly. Most people don't realize that painter's are truly like magicians in the way that they have to take a flat piece of paper and create the illusion of depth on it. YOu have done a fabulouse job with that! In addition, I can tell that there are very subtle nuances in the shading of the marble stone of the building that I'm sure show up better in person than a camera can possibly catch and translate to the computer screen. I can totally appreciate how much work went into a painting like this my dear. Do you remember Kitty's secret garden that I did? I had a brick wall in the background and it was a f#$%^^%$# ing bitch to draw and then paint! The amount of detail you have in the building and fence is tremendous and you've captured it perfectly as well as the perspective.

Bravo, my dearest slutsky! And as far as your dream went, since I noticed that you read my dreadful haiku, you obviously know that my dreams have pretty much been going in the same direction!

Love you, and still running out to the mailbox each day in anticipation of a gift from a very special lil artist:)

XOXOXOX

Maryanne
http://insidethegildedcage.blogspot.com/