Monday, November 28, 2005

THE GIFT

Some Christmas presents come by surprise. Sometimes they cannot be wrapped. Sometimes they cannot be seen. Neither the giver nor the recipient is even aware such an exchange is going to take place. These are often the most delightful of gifts. I received mine today from my son.

It began with a request he made. Would I please see if I could find a particular Christmas song by a particular group? Although I had never heard of the band, I felt certain I would be able to locate the song he wanted. I easily found the song and also some other ones with titles that were familiar to me. I did not listen to any of them prior to the downloads. He and I often appreciate the same bands, so I assumed their music would appeal to me. Throw in that I adore Christmas music, and I did not expect to be disappointed.

Now I am literally searching for the words to describe the music of that band. The name of this group is Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I will include a link to their official site at the end of this entry. I listened to each of the songs, and I am completely enthralled by them. Yes, I am bedazzled by them. Ah, I love when I am held captive by music. My son's gift to me is a musical appreciation for a group previously unbeknownst to me.

I sit here playing those Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas songs over and over. Such an incredibly powerful and intense collection of music by this band. With almost every song, I feel as if my emotions are being yanked all over the place. There are the chilling and driving melodies combined with a gentleness and sweetness. I never know quite when one emotion will be replaced by another. By the end of each song, I have a smile on my face that is literally radiating and goosebumps covering me! My preference is actually their instrumental songs. The vocals take away from the rich beauty of the instruments. Fortunately, I collected more instrumental ones. And not all of their music is Christmas-oriented. Metallica joined them in a wonderful rendition of Requiem, which I love.

I have always enjoyed Christmas songs. There are some I dislike intensely. Jingle Bells does not do a damn thing for me. Deck The Halls is another thumbs down. I do not especially want "cute" music. I want to hear the ones that make me FEEL something (other than annoyance). I want to be swept away to a place in my mind where nothing else intrudes. An oasis where the music touches my soul and my heart for those moments. I am left content.

There are some pleasant memories associated with many of the Christmas carols. I laugh about one recollection I have. David Bowie has long been a favorite singer of mine. I bought his albums (yes, ALBUMS!) and memorized every word to every song. I even found him to be an intriguing person to sketch. My parents were more than aware of my infatuation. While they gave me the wrinkled nose look when I had his music blaring in the house and my mother tried to tell me his voice was nothing compared to the great singers of the past, I said they were not trying to HEAR him. They were listening to the song as a whole. It was rock music in their book, and that meant ICK to them. Well, I should thank good ol' Bing Crosby for changing their perspective about Bowie. One year on his annual Christmas show, Bing had Bowie as his guest. My parents were floored. I was elated! I felt like I had already "won" just because Bing had obviously declared Bowie a worthy enough performer to guest star on his program. And then it happened. Bing and Bowie sang together...a duet of Little Drummer Boy and Peace on Earth. It was glorious. My parents were stunned. Truth be told, Bowie outshone Bing. I am quite sure my parents even felt that way. What a voice! My smug little self sat there on the couch beaming. And I never saw or heard another negative thing about Bowie from them after that nite. ::smile::

Music is a gift to our ears and our souls. I treasure it.

   Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Official Site

"When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest." ~Henry David Thoreau

AND

"If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music." ~Albert Einstein    

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, their instrumentals are indeed marvelous.

Hi! We were digging through our archives today, finally adding links to our blogspot journal, and we discovered that you had left a comment back in Oct. that we completely missed. How shamefaced we were. We added your blogspot link and gave you props, and now we find you're moving back to aol. D'oh!
If you would like any help manipulating your blogspot journal, we'd be happy to offer what assisstance we may.
Bon & Mal

Anonymous said...

This journal should be renamed "Bedazzled by the Gorgeous Graphics"!

I remember the Bing meets Bowie moment well as it's repeated on lots of shows over here every Christmas. I can well understand your feeling of triumph - your parents must have been amazed!!

Unfortunately the link to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra brings up an error message, but not to worry I'll do my own search as I'm really curious to hear them now.

Thanks for another great entry Nikki.

Tilly x

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the information about the link not working, sweet Tilly. I have corrected it, and the site can now be reached!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for another worthy addition to my music vocabulary.......
  Music is grand...but not nearly as grand as the music that comes from a heart filled with music!     Warmth~~~Marc :)

Anonymous said...

right on...I work retail, so I cannot stand Christmas music (try hearing it all day every day at work and you will see why) but I do like the Trans-Siberian Orchestra...amazing stuff...it is a wonderful change up from the same old carols over and over...Blessed Be and Namaste, Luna

Anonymous said...

I frankly detest all Christmas carols!

Bah Humbug!

The Trans-Siberian orchestra is okay though, LOL...

Had fun chatting last night!

Glad that function is disfunctioned on my thingie or I'd get into deep trouble!

Maryanne
http://journals.aol.com/globetrotter2u/Myfeelingsarereal/
http://insidethegildedcage.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Trans Siberian is a favorite in our family.  Last year, tickets to a show in Portland ME were given to my sister as her Christmas gift.  I don't think I've EVER managed to thrill and surprise her that well with a gift.  

Anonymous said...

    I'm with you .... Music can transport us in a way nothing else can. I can hear a song from my past and immediately recall how I felt and thought and acted at that time.  Amazing, isn't it ?  
   Loved the story about Bowie. I have been a fan for years, and saw him in concert a number of times, and he is a class act.  Who knew, way back in his 'Ziggy Stardust' days.  Of course, I loved him then, especially.  Nobody can wear clothes like Bowie... even the elaborate dresses he used to show up on stage in !  
   Yup  ..... Bing and Bowie ..... what a memory !   Tina http://journals.aol.com/onemoretina/Ridealongwithme  

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing about the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.  I went to Amazon.com where the music samples worked better for me.  I loved all that I heard and ordered 2 CDs, which I never normally do.   -Margo