Friday, November 11, 2005

VETERANS DAY

                        

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." ~Thomas Paine

Today is Veterans Day. I knew why we celebrated it nationally, but I did not know the particulars of how it came about. With a little web surfing (as the Sandman continues to overlook me each nite), I found some interesting information.

                   

World War I ended the 11th month, the 11th day, the 11th hour in the year 1918.  It was proclaimed "the war to end all wars." And for 20 years, peace did reign. It was in 1919 that November 11 was named Armistice Day in gratitude for those who fought for that peace. In 1938 Armistice Day officially became a legal holiday renamed Veterans Day.

As of 1971, these were two statistics I found staggering:

There have been more than 38 million Americans who have served their country in the military service. Of that number over 28 million are still living; and,

Living veterans and their families, plus the living dependents of deceased veterans, make up about one-half of the population of the United States.

Those are massive numbers. I was unable to find more recent figures, but I think the enormity of those that existed in 1971 tells an incredible story.

I, myself, am the daughter of a veteran. It is with pride that I say that. It does not mean I am always pro-war and blindly support any and all opportunities to go into battle. However, I have profound respect for those soldiers who answer the call when they hear it. It is not their decision to fight, but those of our government. And have we not ALL reaped the benefits of their dedication and love for our country throughout the years?

It seems we should be thinking about those facts today and saying a mighty huge thank you.                     

"Americans, indeed all freemen, remember that in the final choice, a soldier's pack is not so heavy a burden as a prisoner's chains." ~Dwight Eisenhower 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post...It is very thoughtfully written and brings tears to my eyes for our boys overseas ..."Greater love than this no man hath, than to lay down his life for his friend." cMp

Anonymous said...

Google does have its purpose. Thanks for you letting us now how deeply important this day is to us as Americans.

Anonymous said...

I'm a veteran.  

I just wish we always only fought for freedom and not other things.

Beautiful salute.

Anonymous said...

Google AND you, Lord! Yes, it was your total laziness that forced me to begin my hunt for Veterans Day information. What I found was so interesting to me. I owe you a thank you!

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying all your neat graphics and today I am enjoying your rememberance of Veterans Day.  Thanks.

Anonymous said...

In Britain we have a 2 minute silence at 11am, on the 11th November - you probably do too. It's always a very emotional time to see life frozen for a couple of minutes in supermarkets, offices, schools as we all offerr up a small token of thanks in honour of those that fell to give us freedom.

A great entry Nikki.

Tilly x
http://journals.aol.co.uk/tillysweetchops/Adventuresofadesperatelyfathouse/

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful entry.  Cheri

Anonymous said...

Very well said, my friend. We have so many freedoms that we take for granted. When we leave America and travel to foreign countries it becomes abundantly clear that we are very fortunate to have had these brave men and women fight so that we could keep our freedoms. Now if only our leaders had a bit more sense about the wars they start...
Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm the daughter of a Vet , too. It's something to be proud of.
Wonderful tribute:)
MAryanne