Thursday, November 24, 2005

POST-THANKSGIVING COMPETITION

                              

Ah, Thanksgiving Day is over. Snow swirled in the wind, chilling us but making us feel so alive. I received and gave bunches of smooches and hugs. Pictures were taken, much to the dismay of the children who were far more intent on wanting to devour their plates of food. Our meal was fabulous, the conversation alternated between interesting and entertaining and downright hysterical, and a good time was had by everyone. I have to be thankful for that...each and every day.

My father-in-law bought us a little "just because" gift. It is an antique glass Dazey paddle churn for making butter. (I collect antiques and already have a large wooden butter churn.) It is a pretty large one. Maybe four quarts. He and my hubby are going to make butter tomorrow. ::grin:: Isn't that cute? I was instructed to get online and find the directions for making it. I did. I found them. I printed them. Everything is all set for the big butter making ordeal tomorrow.
 

Now during the course of my search for the recipe, the phone rang. It was a friend of my husband's. He is also quite knowledgeable about antiques. He and hubby discussed the butter churn my father-in-law gave us. Those suckers are expensive. However, this friend happened to mention that the pint-sized ones are more rare and more valuable. Uh oh. Hubby's mistake was telling me that.
 

You know? Sometimes things are NOT our fault. Why? Simply because we do not want them to be! Such is the case in regard to the following. I began to search online for these rare small glass paddle churns. eBay had some. I want one. I did not until that friend had to go and say they are rare. Therefore, it is his fault. I began bidding on one. It was VERY rare~only one-half pint in size. I told the hubster that I'd probably only spend $50 and then I would stop bidding. No problem, said he.
 

This is only my second time bidding on eBay merchandise. I won the first time I did it. I found an antique spinning wheel that was beautiful. I was shocked when I was the winner, because I honestly had no clue what I was doing. I knew what to do this time around. The minutes began ticking down on this tiny churn, and I felt certain someone would top the maximum bid I had set. I got notification that it had, indeed, been topped. I had to hurry to place my new bid. I did, and briefly I was winning. Then another notification arrived saying that someone had outbid me, and I only had X minutes to bid again. I did. I went to $210. Mere seconds were left. I FELT that little glass paddle churn in my hands. And some prick upped it to $212.50. While I was frantically placing my new bid, time ran out. I was pissed. I lost. No teeny churn for me. On the plus side, no honked off hubby to chastise me for spending $150+ more than I said I was going to spend. ::laugh::
 

I do have my eye on another one that is pint-sized. It should be most interesting to see how high the price goes. Curious to see how high I go, too. I do not like to lose. This is almost like a game to me. And when it comes to game time, no holds barred. I am a competitive broad.
 

On a totally different note, please allow this page to fully load. I have a song~an instrumental piece~that will automatically play. Someone I came to know composed it and played each of the instruments. It is hauntingly beautiful. It also seems to capture who I am. It is difficult to explain, but I identify intensely with the song. The gentleman who created it gave the song to me to do with as I wish. It is MY song. And I love it. I just wish I knew where he was and what he is doing now. He has such talent. I will always think of him because of his kindness and because of his gift with music. I do miss him. ::sigh::
 

Well, my house is alive with the sound of snoring. Time for me to check back with eBay. I hope all of you had the happiest of days!
 

"Competition is the spice of sports; but if you make spice the whole meal you'll be sick." ~George Leonard 
 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy turkey day and oh man why did you have to tell about this butter thing? now i want one too...i had a small glass washboard but i gave it to my cousin cause she liked it so much....i do have a restored roll top desk and an old fashioned little pot belly stove that i love...but that butter churn sure sounds cute lol....

Anonymous said...

So glad you had such a great time with the family, but then from the way you describe them I knew you would!

I really admire your butter-making bravery but then whenever I get a new gadget I can't wait to put it to the test either. Let us know how it goes.

On the subject of Ebay I was so traumatized at losing out on a bumper lot of beautiful stencils that I haven't been able to go back since - but I'm probably the richer for it!!

The music was beautiful, how fantastic to have your own song.

Tilly x

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Sorry to hear that you lost out on the butter-churn, but glad you didn't get gouged on price either.  Good luck bidding on the next one.  I like the quote you used too!
Lisa
http://journals.aol.co.uk/loveladylisa1/TheNakedTruth-MirrorJournal/

Anonymous said...

okay, friends & family of Bedazzled that read this: Someone had better scare up a pint sized butter churn for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

What a materialistic slut you are! I'm laughing because I used to own an antique butter churn (the quart size version) and an antique spinning wheel, too. They looked great on the stone hearth of my walk -in fireplace which was in the great room of the old home. They looked like shit in my mediterannean florida house so I got rid of them for pennies on the dollar of what they were worth. (No one's into antiques down here, they prefer tacky Tommy Bahama aqua and pink decor) If you look at the picture of my family in my last entry you can see my antique pie safe in the background of the breakfast room. I kept that and my antique French fire screen (that was placed in front of my bedroom fireplace in the old house) and my circa 1776 antique secretary. Everything else had to go. Too bad I didn't know you when I was getting rid of my good stuff!
Anyhoo, your thanksgiving sounded wonderful. I'm so glad you had so much fun, and I know you're gonna find another paddle churn before long because I know you!
MAryanne

Anonymous said...

Well today the sound of laughter and snoring will be replaced by that of churning butter!

So glad to hear that your Thanksgiving Day was a blast and will now be memorable!

Careful with that e-bay bidding....no doubt, you will find another churn up for sale...and now they know you are willing to pay more than 50 bucks.
Come to think of..212.50 bucks for a paddle churn.....I'm gonna get mine out .... today is a good day to make some butta!
    Navigate safely.....Marc :)

Anonymous said...

That's what Thanksgiving is all about, being around family and having fun!  I've never bought anything on e-bay... but I hear it can be addictive (and costly).   Better luck on future items!  ~Sie  http://siepfft.blogspot.com/