Sunday, October 30, 2005

AUTUMN & ATTEMPTS

The fall colors have finally arrived here, two weeks past what is the norm for this part of the country. This next week will see them at their peak. I do not know how anyone cannot appreciate the beauty that autumn brings.

It was on our way out into the country for the chili cook-off that I took in the flaming colors. Countless times on the drive I pointed out this tree and that one to hubby. Goodness, it was incredible. And to top it off by having an absolutely hysterically fun time at the gathering made it a perfect day in all ways.

I visit some journals of those who are artists. Real artists. Talented ones. I am in awe of their creations. Different styles, different mediums, different subjects. It is a treat for me to look at the works they produce. Sometimes, it gives me a feel for each person's personality.

The above painting is one of mine. ::laugh:: I felt it was perfect for this entry because the colors I saw today were some of the same ones in my painting. I am NOT a real artist. My talent is limited. But you know what? The effort is there. The willingness to try to push myself, so one day I might be able to feel like I am REALLY an artist. If that day does not ever arrive? It does not matter. I have the satisfaction of knowing I made the attempt. I did not quit before I started. I did not say, "I cannot do this, so I will not try." Nor will I have tried once or twice and given up.

To me, that is what matters the most...the attempt. How do people know with certainty they cannot do certain things if they have never tried them? I would rather try and fail than not try at all. It is a personal challenge when I take on something new. I am testing myself. And I like it. I have surprised myself in the past during these challenges. I discovered that I CAN reupholster furniture without having the faintest clue beforehand how to do it. I found that I do a pretty bang-up job of restoring antiques without any real knowledge of the "correct" way it is done. I even found I could design a playhouse that is a replica of a real house AND help build it. I do a mighty fine job of putting on siding, too!

Without attempts, we are resigned to staying in a safe zone. It is fun to slip outside of that cushioned zone and see what I am made of. ::smile:: I think I like my substance.

"In some attempts, it is glorious even to fail." ~Anonymous

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your painting.  And, like you, I am in awe of all the talent in the journals.....art, poetry,life...isn't it wonderful??  ~Nan

Anonymous said...

I think your painting is beautiful and the trees are absolutely magical. judi

Anonymous said...

OHMAGOD! You artist slut, you!
Hot danged you are SO GOOD! No not good....GREAT!
As soon as I opened this page I said to myself, this is freaking GLORIOUS! I wasn't sure if it was a tag, but now that I have seen that it's a painting, I'm so jealous I could spit!
YOu know I'm only teasing you honey...(about being jealous) ...I love your tags, your writing and now I can see that you are indeed a REAL artist as well!!!! You captured the beauty of the fall colors, the whimsy of a crooked little road, and a cozy and beckoning little cottage at the end of a magical journey up the path and through those white birch trees!
It's lovely! I can't tell you enough how talented you are! I am honored to be your friend and I'd be a welcome accomplice if you ever want me to tag along with you to an art class! Haaaahhhhh! We'd get thrown out so fast our heads would spin!
Keep up all that you do, it's truly wonderful, and definitely inspired by a beautiful passion!
Maryanne

Anonymous said...

Ah, you paint and you write, both well.  Thank you for introducing yourself to me.  Your journal is a joy.

Anonymous said...

What a nice journal you have.
Very nice...
I feel so inspired by your words...Thanks.
Put a Smile on your face and a song in your heart.

Wishing you health, happiness and laughter.
TJ~

http://journals.aol.com/paisleyskys/PaisleySkys
http://journals.aol.com/vaultofsecrets/MoonDancer

Anonymous said...

i think you are a very talented person...i love your picture and envy your artistic ability....

Anonymous said...

I think it's time you started to call yourself a true artist.  The painting is absolutely beautiful!  Thanks for droping by my place and leaving such a nice comment.  I've got you book marked and will return, you've got a great journal here!
Sam

Anonymous said...

I second the goatman...you are a real artist...for sure...I am so glad I finally found my way here...Luna

Anonymous said...

ooops not goatman...slysdexic anyone? hahahaha

Anonymous said...

Now listen here--Sassy says you call your self an artist from this moment on! I love this fall rendering, If you don't truely believe you are an artist than ask Judith--you'll see! ;-) Sassy
PS. Now what if I didn't call myself a photographer cuz there I think there are some better out there? Be sensible! ;-)

http://journals.aol.com/SassyDee50/SassysEYE