Sunday, October 9, 2005

MIRROR IMAGES

I have been laughing myself simple thinking about this (which probably means only I think it is funny). My husband, who I find handsome, has been looking so much like his father. I would look over at him and sometimes be startled by the strong resemblance. And I would comment about it to him. This has been going on for some months, and they are beginning to be mirror images of each other...at least their faces. Finally, the other day my husband asked me if there was some sort of problem with the fact he looks like his dad (who is still living, by the way). He told me I mentioned it so often that he felt sure something was wrong. I replied that at times when we are having sex, I feel like I am having sex with his father because of their matching looks. I got an eyeroll in response. It isn't stopping us from doing the wild thing, but it sure adds another dimension to it!

THEN, I keep catching glimpses of myself in the mirror as I am brushing my teeth or hair or washing my face, and I almost reel at the image I see. I am definitely resembling MY father. Sometimes it is an expression, the way my lips are at that moment, the just-awakened look, or my eyes. My father passed away, and it is disconcerting to see him in my reflection. We were very, very close, and I miss him. But to see him so strongly in me is rattling, and it makes me miss him even more. NOOOO, I am not starting to look like a man. I keep my beard nicely groomed. JUST KIDDING! I look very much like a woman, but it is odd that I have none of my mother's facial features. Heck, I do not have anything of hers. So how can I appear feminine when I look like my father?!

Anyway, after the latest blast at the mirror, I came into the family room where my husband was sitting. I plopped down on the couch and told him I could foresee sex problems for us in the near future. He looked confused and asked why. I told him I was looking so much like Daddy that pretty soon when we were sexing it up, it would look like his father and my father engaging in it. Pffft...he did not think that was funny. I got another eyeroll.

So, I have been thinking about how amazing looks truly are. We all see a child walking along with a parent and are struck by the similarities. Their style of walking might be identical. Their mannerisms the same. One child might look exactly like one parent and the other exactly like the other. (Which I always think is nice that each parent has a look-alike child.) Most often there is a blend of the parents in a child, with one parent being more predominant. Sometimes there is a child who does not look like ANYONE in the family. That always raises an eyebrow or two. Gotta love genes.

I look at our two children, a son and daughter. There is absolutely no mistaking that I am our son's mother. Just as there is no way hubby cannot claim our daughter. I still get that thrill knowing we created these two young people. The miracle of it will always be with me. And then to watch them as they grow and see each one of us in them in little and big ways is almost enough to take my breath away.

Good thing they were conceived before hubby was his father and I was my father. ::laughing::

"Be not deceived with the first appearance of things, for show is not substance." ~English Proverb    

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The Apple does not fall far from the tree".  

 What a delightful post.......Everytime you recognise your dad in yourself...you are simply allowing him to be reincarnated!  and in Who else would he rather be??
Enjoy those images!   Peace~~~Marc :)

Anonymous said...

::Soft smile as I delight in strolling through this journal::

Anonymous said...

::grinning as I push the typo couch out of here, because James doesn't need it right now::

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this post tremendously.  In our house we have two look alikes.  My oldest resembles her dad in mannerisms, looks and attitude!  The youngest is the 'spitting image' of my mother as I am.  

Anonymous said...

Interesting entry. I never saw my husband's dad and I am quite thankful that he's doesn't look like his mom or we'd be celibate. To me, he just looks like a big ole cuddly grizzly bear, which I like.
You have a lovely journal. I'm adding you to my list of favorites:)
MAryanne