Thursday, October 6, 2005

THANKS, ANDY!

                                 

I love this! It is one of Andy Rooney's little gems from 60 Minutes. It is not a new piece. It aired some time ago. It does not matter when, because it is still very much appropriate. I laughed when I received the email containing this. I had seen it before, but this time it was sent to me with an opening comment saying how much I reminded the person of the women Rooney was mentioning.

         Andy Rooney on Women over 40 from 60 Minutes

As I grow in age, I value women who are over 40 most of all. Here are just a few reasons why:

1. A woman over 40 will not lie next to you in bed and ask, "What are you thinking?" She doesn't care what you think.

2. If a woman over 40 doesn't want to watch the game, she doesn't sit around whining about it. She does something she  wants to do. And it's usually something more interesting.

3. A woman over 40 knows herself well enough to be assured in who she is, what she is, and what she wants and from whom. Few women past the age of 40 give a damn what you might think about her or what she's doing.

4. Women over 40 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you.

5. Older women are generous with praise, even undeserved praise. They know what it's like to be unappreciated.

6. A woman over 40 has the self-assurance to introduce you to her women friends. A younger woman with a man will often ignore even her best friend because she doesn't trust the guy with other women.

7. Women over 40 couldn't care less if you're attracted to her friends because she knows her friends won't betray her. Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to a woman over 40. They always know.

8. A woman over 40 looks good wearing bright red lipstick. This is not true of younger women or drag queens. Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a woman over 40 is far sexier than her younger counterpart.

9. Older women are forthright and honest. They'll tell you right off if you are a jerk and if you are acting like one! You don't ever have to worry where you stand with her.

Yes, we praise women over 40 for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it's not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coiffed hot woman of 40+, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22-year-old waitress. Ladies, I apologize.

For all those men who say, "Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free." Here's an update for you: Nowadays,  80% of women are against marriage, why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.

Now, to dissect what he said. I have to admit that in regard to me, #1 is not accurate. I DO care what hubby is thinking. It is entirely possible, even probable, I will be asking what he is thinking as we lie together in bed. More than likely, it will be something I can tell has nothing to do with me and is probably related to work. I want him to share that type of concern with me, so I will ask what's up.

#2 makes me laugh pretty hard. I am the one who adores watching the sporting events on television. In fact, it is almost the only kind of television I will watch. So in this household, Rooney's line needs to be altered to read, "television SHOW"...and then it is 100% true. I do not complain if hubby wants to unwind watching something that holds no appeal to me. I have a million things I can do instead, and I DO them. Yes, what I do is interesting. Certainly things I consider far more interesting than idly watching television.

Ah, #3. That hits the nail on the head until I get to the second sentence of it. Then the hammer comes down on my thumb. It is that second part I am still working toward achieving. Oh, but I have made grand progress recently. Yay for me!

#4...hmmm. Dignified is subjective. If Rooney is relating it to not causing a public scene, then he has me pegged perfectly. There is no way I would ever cause a screaming scene in a restaurant or any other public place. I do not need to. I can get my point across effectively without having to resort to raising my voice. And I have done it. Just ask the neurologist who skidded to a halt whenever he would see me. ::big, proud grin:: I did not have to shout at him while pointing out how his incompetence and arrogance delayed the proper treatment being given to a member of my family. He was quite a bit less arrogant and much more involved and thorough in the case after my "dignified" chat with him. And, no, I would not shoot anyone. LOL! But I can give a look that shoots daggers through anyone who crosses me.

A hallelujuah to Rooney for his observation in #5. You're darn straight that women over 40 heap praise on people. I LOVE praising anyone and everyone. I do not give false praise, but I do not have to know someone to compliment them. I am a notorious "praiser" of strangers wherever I go. Women do go unappreciated many times, as well as being taken for granted. But, it is fairly easy to just suck it up and forge ahead. In time, it all works out well.

#6 and #7 make me laugh...hard. Young women do seem to bevery strange when it comes to bringing other women around their men. I have different theories as to why this is so. Insecurity masking itself as confidence is one theory I hold. Another is that being center stage gives conceited women yet another boost to their egos. Sharing that spot rankles them. Me? I make cracks to my hubby about any hot women friends I have. I just tell him if he would ever be interested in them to have at 'em. I then add that I will gladly reciprocate by finding another man to play with. ::smile:: In other words, I do not care at all if women are around my husband. I will not keep any away from him out of insecurity or conceit. He loves me. My friends are long-time and loyal ones who would never try to cross the line. Flirting is fine by me. It is harmless and done in fun. He is not foolish enough to throw away what he already has for anyone else...and vice versa. Besides, I am not blind...there are some mighty attractive men I spend a bit of time gaping at and completely enjoying myself!

Hey! #8 discusses wrinkles. Hrmpf! I have been spared wrinkles. ::knocking on wood:: I think I see a few suspicious areas, though. So I buckled under yesterday to the pressures of vanity and asked my doctor for a prescription for the miracle wrinkle remover, Renova. The man actually grinned at me when he asked me to point out just WHERE I thought I had wrinkles that needed tending. God love his heart. He did give me a prescription...but he never lost that twinkle in his eye or the smile. Okay, okay. He pacified me by giving it to me. Good doctors do that for their nice patients. LOL! Oh yes, I do look nice in red lipstick. Red is a good color on me anyway. ::on my lips, body, fingernails, and toenails:: Whether or not I am sexy, I have no idea except that my husband thinks so. BOY does he think so. Geez, sometimes it honestly makes me blush when he starts on a kick of telling me that.

I agree with #9. I can and do tell my hubby if he is being a twit. I do not generally do that with other people unless provoked. Even then I might not say anything. It all depends in what way the person is being a nitwit. There are those times it feels darn good to unleash and let someone know in no uncertain terms that his or her behavior is obnoxious, ridiculous, and putrid. Dancing around the topic searching for the right words too often results in the message not getting through. And there are times when it needs to be said so it is very, very clear.

I admit to being one of those women who chuckles at the older men with the young, hot women adorning their arms. I did not have to be 40 to find it amusing. I have always felt that way. It shouts mid-life crisis to me when I see it. Those men chuck their wives and families to chase the tail of some gum-chewing, bubblehead. I imagine the sex is good...very good. BUT, don't those men know the women who are the most sexual and interested in making sure sex is killer hot are those 40+ women? Hmmm? ::shrug:: Sure is applicable to me. And a bravo goes out to Demi Moore for turning the tables and snagging herself some young, hot, delicious piece of man. Wonder if it caused more than a few older men to shudder realizing that they are not necessarily such a hot commodity anymore?

Yep, there is something positively wonderful that occurs to a woman when she hits 40. I think there is a quiet and solid confidence in who we are at that age. From where I sit, it just gets better and better. Thanks, Andy, for pointing it out to those who are simply not in the know!

"Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul." ~Samuel Ullman
       
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh! And let's not forget....It was on Eves 40th Birthday that she handed Adam an apple and said..."Eat this!"

Great entry..thoroughly enjoyed!! Marc :)