Thursday, October 20, 2005

BRRR

               

The house was cold this evening. Very cold. I had spent a good chunk of the day out and about, so I knew the temperatures here had dropped significantly. I was fine with that. I very much enjoy weather that is cool or downright frigid when I am dressed right for it. I was in and out of my car quite content with the drop in degrees.

Arriving home, I took care of a few things before deciding to curl up on the couch and take a nap before hubby was due home from an evening of choir practice. I fell into a deep sleep, complete with dreams. When I awoke, the house was silent except for the sound of a heavy rain beating down on the roof and tapping at the windows. It was actually comforting in its own way.

I was cold and moving around did not seem to take the chill out of my bones. No doubt from the combination of the low temperature and rain. I came here into this study to warm myself (this room seems to remain a bit warmer than the rest of the house). I closed the door and got situated here at the computer. While reading my mail, I noted I was not getting any warmer at all. I toyed with the idea of getting the fireplace blazing, but I knew hubby would give me an eyeroll when he got home (and strip down to only his underwear to make a point that I had gotten the house too hot). As the minutes passed and I continued to shiver, I finally came to the conclusion I was going to have to turn on the furnace. Enough was enough, and I was uncomfortable. I shivered my way to the living room and flipped on the furnace knowing within a short time I would feel its effect.

Back to the study I went to await the loving caress of warmth. Instead I steadily grew colder and colder. My hands were freezing, my body was literally hunched into a protective ball on this chair, and I was ticked off. Wait! I had not had dinner yet. THAT must be why I felt so puny. I prepared my meal, shaking the entire time. Since I was alone and frigid, I brought my meal in here to eat it. No go. I ate all of it and was feeling even colder than before I began. (No, I did not have ice cream fordinner.)

Then my mind went into overdrive. It was becoming all too clear that I had developed a fever. Yes, I must certainly be in the early throes of the flu. Don't I always shiver and shake when I have a fever? Yep. I was very upset with this new knowledge. We have a wedding to go to on Saturday that I am looking forward to attending. How can I go if I have the creeping crud? I thought maybe if I eat lots of soup and say lots and lots of prayers, throw in some extra vitamins, and stay inside all day Friday, that I will be nice and healthy come Saturday.

::sigh:: What a miserable way to begin the weekend, I thought. My immediate concern was to somehow warm up myself. The only way I could think to do it was to reallllllly crank up the heater and to heck with the wrath of my always overheated hubby. I scampered back to the living room to adjust the temperature controls. Hmmm. Something did not look right...

Oops. I had earlier inadvertently turned on the air conditioner instead of the heater. Duh. I made the switch and now I feel much better. Well, except that my stupidity attack has me questioning my I.Q.

"No matter what you do, no matter how stupid, dumb, or damaging you judge it to be, there is a lesson to be learned from it. No matter what happens to you, no matter how unfair, inequitable or wrong, there's something you can take from the situation and use for your advancement." ~Peter McWilliams

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful quote, it is something I should read on a daily basis.
I love the rain, coming down in your picture, and can only marvel at how you manage to perform that kind of magic in your journal.
I do hope you haven't caught the flu bug that I have had! Believe me, you won't feel like going to a wedding if you did, although I did drag my sorry ass to art classes this week, and felt better after the advil kicked in. I'm wondering if you live in the northeast. My son told me that's it's been miserably cold and rainy up there most of the week.
Well, I'm glad you got the heater running, and don't feel bad, I've pulled that stunt, too!
XOXO
Maryanne

Anonymous said...

i can understand everything except HOW could you forget to eat?....

i love to hear the rain tap dancing across the roof and on the windows...only thing is that in the desert most of the water from heaven comes out of a sprinkler...

have a great time at the wedding and hope you are ok....

How could one forget to eat?....