Friday, October 7, 2005

SAMHAIN (Summer's End)

Most of the time, it is thought that as we age we grow more rigid in our beliefs and resistant to new ones. We close our minds to the new or different, preferring to stay firmly ensconced in the familiar. Sometimes that is not a bad thing at all. There is a comfort to be found in the beliefs that have carried us along the bumpy and winding roads of our travels in life. However, there is also the possibility that clinging to the old can cause us to grow stagnant. I, for one, am not interested in decaying. I want to be aware of as much as possible and view the new to determine its worth.

I cannot change my core beliefs or morals. I do not want to change those. They have given me a solid foundation upon which I have built a life. They are as much a part of me as is my body. BUT, why not also accept or recognize other ideas or ways? Wouldn't that be adding another dimension to us or at least help us to understand the worlds of other people? Once we have thoroughly researched or pondered a theory and found it has merit, what is wrong with allowing yourself to say, "Hmmm...this is interesting, and I can see why it is appealing"? That is how I approach so many things. I have become more liberal in many ways the older I get. Eh, not politically, though. ::grin::

So it is with this month of October's arrival that I began to think about the holiday of Samhain (generally pronounced sow-on, rhymes with now-gone). I knew little about it except that it was considered one of the most important pagan holidays. After doing some reading, I find I am more than a little surprised at what I found. I think there are many misconceptions about it, including a fear it is the work of the Devil. I discovered nothing of the sort. It actually intrigued me.

Technically, November 1st is the start of Samhain. The Celts divided the year into two seasons, the light (Beltane on May 1st) and the dark (Samhain). Samhain marks the beginning of a new cycle where "in dark silence there are the whisperings of new beginnings and the stirring of the seed below the ground." Over the centuries, Christian and pagan beliefs intermingled during the last days of October and the early ones of November. Both embrace the darkness of the time of year. Ultimately, Samhain became more commonly known as All Saints' Day to commemorate the souls of the blessed dead who had been canonized that year, and the nite before became known as Halloween or All Hallows Eve.

At Samhain and other significant times of the Celtic year, the gods supposedly drew near the earth. Sacrifices were offered up in thanksgiving for the harvest. People prayed for restored health or wishes and used objects to symbolize those prayers. The objects were thrown into a huge bonfire during the celebration. People then brought home a flame from the fire and lit their home fires. This gave them a sense of hope and dreams and purpose for the upcoming year.

One fascinating bit of lore I read is that a child born at Samhain was said to be gifted with "an dà shealladh" (clairvoyance). Since I do believe some people possess that particular ability, it interested me to read about it in this context.

Games were played during the celebration of Samhain. One is very reminiscent of Bobbing For Apples. Another was called Dreaming Stones. Each person went to a boundary stream and closed his eyes while taking three stones from the water, lifting each one between the middle finger and thumb. While doing that, the following words were spoken, "I will lift the stone as Mary lifted it for her Son, for substance, virtue, and strength; may this stone be in my hand till I reach my journey's end." Then he would carry the stones home and place them under his pillow. That nite, he would ask for a dream that would give him guidance or a solution to a problem. The stones were supposed to bring that dream to him.

I make no claims to be presenting all there is to know about Samhain, and it is entirely possible I have read information that is not overly accurate. What I have written here is merely enough to give some background to a celebration that most Christians would not be aware of or familiar with. The historical aspect of it is very fascinating to me. It gives me a glimpse into past centuries and the beliefs many held.

Most importantly, I learned something new. I kept my mind open and was willing to take a look at the unfamiliar without automatically discarding it as not worth my time or attention. And I hope I always remain that way.

"The universe is wider than our views of it."  ~Henry David Thoreau

 

No comments: